Windows defender was not running and needed to activate it.
There is this nice youtube video explaining this process. Below is a summary:
- Open Control Panel
- Then Go to View by Categories and select Large icons:
- Then you should see windows defender at the bottom of the page:
- Once you click on it, it will ask you if you want to start it, click ok and you are good to go.
Had a machine that was infected by malware so when booting normally, Windows Explorer would crash. I needed to boot into safe mode to try and fix it.
When the machine is booting press F8 and then select the version of safe mode you want to boot into.
I got this error when trying to enable windows defender from the control panel.
On doing some research it appears this may have been caused by a malware and a virus scan upon activating windows defender validated this suspicion.
The solution as shown in this youtube video was to delete policies from the registry. I did not use the batch file. Deleting the registry entries worked.
- Reboot the machine and then press F8 as it is booting to go into safe mode.
- Once its started from the start menu type Regedit to open the windows registry.
- Then First create a backup of the registry by clicking File Followed by Export and save to a location of your choice.
- Then Next delete the following registry entries. You can review this video in-case the screenshots below are not clear.
How To Fix This Program is Blocked by Group Policy in Windows 7/8/10